Do you notice that refreshing cold smoothies don't have the same appeal during our winter weather? Try giving your smoothies a winter makeover by serving them hot! It's not as strange as it sounds - I promise! This ice free, warm smoothie will warm you up after a chilly morning gym or run - a warm healthy breakfast at just a little over 300 calories.
- 15g/0.5oz dark chocolate, chopped (The naughtiest ingredient of the recipe, but there’s only a bit)
- 200ml/6.75floz almond milk
- 20g/0.7oz rolled oats (No you won’t be chewing these down, they’ll be blended in, to add thickness and flavour)
- ½ a ripe, medium sized banana (For a tiny bit of sweetness)
- 6 almonds
- 5g/0.2oz chia seeds (sprinkle a spoonful of these into most smoothies. You can’t taste them but they’re packed with antioxidants, minerals and other goodies)
- 20ml/0.7floz cold water
*TIP= Don’t fill your smoothie maker up with boiling liquid. It’s either going to shatter the glass (if you have a glass jug) or it’s going to come gushing out with a ton of pressure when you open the lid after whizzing things up.
- Add the dark chocolate to a jug and pour in the almond milk.
- Microwave until the mixture is warm and the chocolate has melted (you can do this in a pan if you prefer).
- Add the oats, banana, almonds, chia seeds, the water and approx. a fifth of the almond milk to your smoothie maker or blender. Add in an extra splash of cold water if you think the liquid is too warm.
- Blend on high for a minute until the oats and chia seeds have been completely incorporated.
- Whilst it's blending, further heat the rest of the almond/chocolate mix until hot, but not boiling.
- Pour the blended oat mix into your cup, stir in the almond/chocolate mix and serve.
That’s it. It’s creamy, just a tiny bit sweet & filling enough to satisfy the hunger after a long run.